Monday, August 24, 2009

Temple dedication


Yesterday was a day that church was cancelled for all of Utah. Kinda weird huh! Well instead we were able to attend the Oquirrh Mountain temple dedication in our local building via satellite. This temple is located on the southwest side of the Salt Lake valley and is the fourth temple built in Salt Lake County. Julie and I had the kids watched at Grandpas house and off we went. To be honest I really just wanted to stay home and skip this, after all church was cancelled why do something churchy(I know not a word, but I like it). Well this turned out to be one of the most spiritual experiences I have had in a very long time. These experiences are very difficult to put into words, in fact as I write this I am unsure as to how I could even come close to explaining how I felt in a somewhat decent manner. We got to the church a bit late so we where in the overflow in the gym on metal chairs that are not very comfortable. As Julie and I rotated butt cheeks we listen to the speakers talking about the importance of temples and what they mean for us in today's time. The dedicatory prayer was given, and hymns where sung. This is when I felt overwhelmed and everything just came together for me. The hymn The Spirit of God has always been a favorite. As this song was being sung I felt as if I was being cleansed, all my sins being washed away. I felt proud to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I felt like this was where I was suppose to be. I felt many more things, all indescribable with my limited intelligence. It was something I desperately needed to experience and will remember for a long time. Life is interesting, it amazes me that we have these opportunities at times when we least expect. This also a time for personal thought and wondering why am I sharing such a personal experience on a blog, honestly I don't know.

No comments: