Monday, August 17, 2009

Camping

We went camping Aug 13-15, and had a crazy time. As activity's chairs, Julie and I where in charge of our ward(church) camp out. We arrived around 2pm at the camp site, being the first ones there we got to pick the best camping spot, right under a group of small trees. This was great because we saw rain every day that we camped. After night one Julie was in tremendous pain since her ribs are still broken, she had a horrible night. We drove home, precooked as much as we could for the breakfast that we where preparing for everyone the next day. The kids and I returned to the campsite early afternoon, leaving Julie and Eli home to recover. It was a blast to watch Jake ride his bike up and down the dirt hill, he had so much fun. Julie surprised us by coming up with her sister Sheri and she helped me make foil dinners. They where yummy, foil dinners are so good to eat while camping and easy to cook. The 2 kids and I had a good night of sleep, I awoke early to get breakfast going. I made a yummy dutch oven dish that was very simple, sausage, hash browns, eggs, and cheese, it was a hit. Shortly after breakfast was served the heavens opened hail and a heavy downpour quickly got us wet. Luckily the tent and most supplies where put away.

Yesterday, the day after getting home from camping was miserable. Emily and I where so freakin sick with a nasty stomach bug. I will blame stress of the camp out on getting so sick, it sure whipped me. No it was not food poisoning, because another person who was camping with us got the same bug, but didn't stay for breakfast that I made. I feel so much better today.

So this has been our first year trying out cooking with dutch ovens, so far I am impressed. They are fairly easy to use, simple as using hot coals, cleanup is way easy, and the taste these ovens gives is phenomenal. A new hobby found!

No comments: